TIP Engineering Forum Index TIP Engineering
Theory In Practice

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AE86 suspension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Good Vibrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epoch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: AE86 suspension Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to decide what to do for suspension for my Corolla. Currently it's a daily driver but it'll probably retire to only driving to the track and back.

At the moment I've got I've got ST205 Celica GT4 AGX in the front and old worn out TRD yellows(8 way adj. short strokes) along with 8/6 springs.

I've got a few ideas on what to do.

First is to keep the AGX's in the front and just buy a set of TRD blues for the rear and leave it at that but I would like to get rid of the high speed bump to get it more comfortable driving around. These cost 550AUD

Another option I've considered is getting Greddy or G-master coils but I haven't heard much about either other than they are good. Will probably cost me 2k.

One thing I've thought of is to get something made up. I've talked to a mob over the other side of the country and they seem to know what they're doing. Noone seems to valve shocks locally. A mate got some custom coilovers made for the rear of his AE86 and he didn't like them so they were sent to the other side of the country to be revalved. These guys aren't who I talked to.
The place I talked to use QA-1 shocks and recommended Aluminium shocks with a threaded body so I can convert to coilover if I want to rather than the separate spring and shock. That will allow me to move the spring further outward toward the wheel and run a softer spring giving me a softer ride rate for the same roll rate although I don't know if I'll bother with this. The lower mount has been modified to support the weight of the car(in the process of getting a Celica-Supra diff modified to bolt in). Been quoted around 800 for this valved to suit. I dunno what I'll do with the front if I take this option.

The last option is to wait for Tim to do up AE86 suspension but I think that's a while away still.

What do you guys reckon I should do? Is it worth the extra for a good digressive curve that can be altered to suit later on if need be?

Cheers.
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't forgot about the corolla, it's still on the list of cars to do, there's just a couple other ones in front that I have already started working on.

The hard thing about the corolla is the way the fronts are. The greddy's are a good answer to the problem with the new spindle built in. And the rears work well too. The problem with a coilover in the rear is the stock sheet metal isn't strong enough to support both spring and shock loads at that point. So it either needs to be strengthened or you need to keep the setup similar to stock.

For the fronts, inserts are available that could work well. I'm not sure if they fit, but the Koni 8610 and 8611 are good inserts for now a bad price. But then you're still stuck with what you're going to do for the rear. Finding something that could match the koni's would be possible, but I'm not sure how much work it would be and if it would be worth it.

I'm not a fan of mismatched front and rear dampers. It can be alright sometimes if they're similar designed shocks from different manufacturers, but they both should be put together by someone who knows what they're doing.

But as far as off the shelf stuff, I have also heard a lot of good things about the greddy's. I rode in a car with them for a while, they feel good. They're too stiff in compression like most common damper offerings for these cars, but they aren't too bad. I haven't messed with the adjustment to see if they can be made a little softer. But for right now, they're the most complete and well thought out setup for the corolla.

I just wish I had time to get to putting something together for this car. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen for a while.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
assassin10000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: AE86 suspension Reply with quote

Sounds like you 'might' want to look into some Koni's...

Just before I found out about the Greddy coilovers coming out for the ae86 chassis I spent a week or so emailing back and forth with a guy at koni about options for revalving struts/shocks for the ae86 using already made/existing dampers from other vehicles.

It basically came down to him after looking at some #'s and the info I gave him on what I would be doing with the car (a bit of autox & a lot of drifting) with 6-10kg front springs and 4.7-8kg rear springs being in the possible range of my choice that he recommended using the following since they 'valving' of these should work well with the spring rates, weight, etc of the ae86:

Quote:
Front - Recommended by KONI:
8610 1437RACE Works better with higher spring rates than MR-2 piece

Rear Recommended by KONI:

95+ Mustang (rear)
Koni 8041-1186S -sport similar valving & externally adjustable as the 82-92 koni
camaro rear sport shocks are not externally adjustable.
OR (even better)

93+ Camaro (rear)
Koni 8242-1006SP1 dual adjustment (compression & rebound)

NOT recommended by KONI:
93+ Camaro (rear)
Koni 8241-1140S -sport Koni states Compression Dampening would be too firm.

The front recommendation is the single adjust front race strut, but there is also a double adjust p# 8611-1259 Race with the same exact dimensions.

Does this help you any, or just add to your woes & confusion on making a decision?

A plus with these (and bilsteins for that matter) is they can be revalved to suit your car.

One of the guys on club4ag has purchased these and I believe he may be testing them this weekend @ the SCCA nationals in his ae86. SO we know they fit... but as to actual performance. I'm still waiting on him to get back to me on how they felt. If you want to keep an eye out for this see here: http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=4914

Andrew
Epoch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input guys.

Andrew, the koni selection helps me a lot, I don't like the idea of mismatched dampers but if Van86 thinks good of them, I think I will buy them. Then when the spare money comes in, buy either the 8610 or 8611. I'm pretty sure they will fit because I think they are 1.7" OD and my calipers tell me the strut is 45mm ID If the koni guy thinks it will work, who am I to argue.

The decision has narrowed to the Koni recommendations, or DG-5/Greddy OTS coils.

What's your opinion of the koni shocks Tim? I know you probably won't have much to say since you don't have any plots or info about the Mustang rears. Do you reckon follow what the koni man says?

Being able to have them revalved is a bonus but a lengthy process.

I don't think I will bother with the rear coil overs anymore, it was an option if I were to go QA-1 on the rear. I've had the third member modified to take the weight so that's half the equation taken care of but still would have had to do the top. It's wank that the car doesn't really need.

My final thought: I think I'll take the koni's because there is absolutely no support for Greddy or G-master here in Australia, I don't think anyone here has even heard of the G-master coils. Tein is pretty big but they don't seem to offer anything for AE86 anymore and I would still have to ship them to the east coast to have them rebuilt. I guess it's better than having no support.

Thanks again for the help guys. I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Good Vibrations All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: