TIP Engineering Forum Index TIP Engineering
Theory In Practice

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FSAE Dampers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Good Vibrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MistaTwo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: FSAE Dampers Reply with quote

I know there are a few people on here who did FSAE at different schools. I'm doing the suspension for my school next year, and I'm looking for different dampers. Now, I am leaning towards either the Ohlins ST44's, or Cane Creek Double Barrel dampers, but one of the other kids on the team is a "damper genius" and is looking at different ones, air shocks included *eye roll*. But has anyone here had any experience with any other mountain bike dampers, like Fox's or Manitou's, etc? Let me know what you guys think!
Scooter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Fox DHX 5.0 on my mountain bike and its pretty good for biking. But wouldn't be any good on a car. I'd only use the double barrel on a car. All the good mountain biking shocks have multiple adjustment levels/knobs but affect only the beginning or end of travel (for bump anyways), so that wouldn't be any good for a car. That's why double barrels are so much better, they're a regular 4-way shock. There are no other mountain biking shocks I'm aware of that are a true 2, 3 or 4 way.
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get a chance to take a look at those dyno plots for the cane creeks?

I highly recommend them, especially over any other mountain bike damper. We messed with the Risse Jupiter 5 for a couple years and I hated them. They just didn't do what I wanted them to on the car and on the dyno, they looked pretty bad. I spent some time trying to get a consistent curve out of them, but it ended up being not worth the effort. With a lot of work and new shims and maybe new pistons, they could be made to work, but then again, the adjusters weren't that great and for the amount of adjustment you thought they had only a small part of it was actually usable.

jrud@tipengr.com
MistaTwo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i did, and they did look quite nice. i have heard from a few people that as far as mountain bike dampers go, these are the way forward. however, the kid on the team with me who wants to do damper stuff doesnt believe me, but i think thats cause he doesnt know how to properly read damper plots. and he is all about the fox's, rissi's, and manitou's, etc. But hopefully we will be able to work somethin out. Any other comments welcome guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Good Vibrations All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: