TIP Engineering Forum Index TIP Engineering
Theory In Practice

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R/T Tuning Car builds, Mac's car

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: R/T Tuning Car builds, Mac's car Reply with quote

So we finally got a welder, bender, notcher and some tubing so I could do my first cage in a street car. I think it came out alright for being my first time building something like this without a full model and a jig table, but there's always room to improve. On this car I did some seam welding, fixed a lot of rust and put a normal 6-point cage in. I still need to tub the fenders which will hopefully get done today and do gussets for a lot of the joints once the dimple dies show up, which should hopefully be either today or tomorrow. Anyway, on to the pics.

Here's the car in my little section of the shop.

I was doing the final cleaning on the seams in the engine bay and came across this.

That's what the other side looked like once I got all that shit off of the metal.

So I cut it out.

I grabbed some 16 gauge sheet that I've been using and patched up the frame rail.

And then put another piece on to cover up the rest of the hole and tie it together.

Engine bay shot with that and another spot I had to patch.

Other strut tower, there were two spots I had to patch on the top and another big spot at the bottom of the tower. This side wasn't as bad as the other side. On the other side the rust went through both panels, on this side it was pretty much only through one, so when I ground it all off, I needed to put something on it to patch it all back up.

Another rust patch and one of the front floor plates.

Main hoop and floor plate in place. I really like the way the floor plates came out, now I just need to buy a nice box and pan brake and a nice bandsaw, so I can get them made a lot quicker.

And now the cage is pretty much done. I just need to weld in those two front cross bars.

Side shot.

Shot from the rear.

Passenger's side middle floor plate.

Driver's side.

Driver's side front.

Passenger's side front.

Passenger's side shock tower.

Driver's side shock tower.

And the holes that I'll be working on today.

This is just on Mac's car. I started working on Shawn's car before this, but Mac's car is taking priority right now, so it's getting done first. Just a little more welding and fab work to be done and then it needs to get all cleaned up and go out for interior and engine bay paint. I'll post some pics of how shawn's car is coming along later, I already spent too much time making this post. Maybe soon I'll be able to get my coupe in there and get started on this stuff for myself, maybe.

I want to thank Wawa for being open 24 hours and making all of this possible.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
nissandrift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful cage, I think I saw this on Zilvia or FA the other day. I'd love to cage my car, but since its a DD I'll prob just foam a few things.
luckyslide16

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to finish gutting my car, wondering how much something like this costs (for the cage and some rust touch-up). I know without seeing the car you cant give me a firm price or anything, but a general estimate would be cool!

Thanks!
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would really depend on how bad the rust was and how far you would want me to go with fixing it. As for the cage, pricing on a basic 6-point is around $1000. And then you could add gussets, extra bars and bracing, etc for an additional cost. With the amount of work that went into Mac's car, I would say probably around $2000 give or take. The strut tower rust was pretty bad on that car and there were a lot of other smaller patches that had to be made. And the additional gusseting on the cage and to the chassis added a lot of time to the project.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
luckyslide16

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool, I really appreciate the info and I will definitely get back to you as soon as my gutting is done and I am ready to move forward on it.

Thanks Again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Builds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: