TIP Engineering Forum Index TIP Engineering
Theory In Practice

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear traction rods - S chassis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Good Vibrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tErbo b00st

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Rear traction rods - S chassis Reply with quote

I can't really find anything on how rear traction rods affect the rear suspension geometry except SPL says they can reduce bumpsteer. Can anyone shed some light on how to adjust the rear traction rods? Doesnt have to be indepth, just an idea...a general "shortening will do this...." would be ok. But if anyone wants to write a book about it I'm all for it. Thanks in advance.
Sonofagun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the sum total of everything I have heard about their function also. I understand the basics of how one would affect bumpsteer in the front of the car, but dont grasp this.

I have stock traction rods, but have considered getting adjustable ones, just for the sake of spending money. ...and reducing the amount of bushing flex and stock crap on the car.
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I've been meaning to respond to this, but have just been busy this past week. I still haven't really gotten together a good explanation for how it all works, but I'll just wing it for now.

I don't know the best way to explain this without trying to try stuff and that just takes too long on here. So basically the traction rod and the upper control arm are actually just 2 legs of an a-arm. So technically when adjusting camber you should be adjusting both of these arms.

You can adjust bumpsteer with it because by just adjusting camber with the upper control arm, you will have to readjust your toe with the toe rod. And then your pivot points get moved around, so in order to get them back to where they should be, you'll just have to adjust the traction rod.

But if you were adjusting with the traction rod and the ruca at the same time, then bumpsteer probably wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Is this making any sense?

I'm sure there are other effects. But as long as you can picture the two arms on the top as basically one a-arm for analysis sake then you'll be able to understand it better. The ball joint for the analysis is just the intersection of the force lines of the arms. So the ball joint is outboard of the spindle. This does have some effect on instant centers and such like that, but I wouldn't worry about that too much for now.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
Sonofagun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACtually, the A-arm example does help. Thanks. Ill have to go fiddle with it once I find some time.
tErbo b00st

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a weak explanation, you dissapoint me Tim, hahaha Laughing

Just jokin, that deffinently helped, although I would love to understand it better. Thanks for that explanation though.
Sonofagun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic question... On an s13 (or any s-chassis, for that matter) does adjusting the rear toe affect the camber like adjusting camber affects toe, or are they seperate and exclusive of one another?

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled, im recovering from a low bloodsugar. Smile
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the length of any arm with change the camber and toe. But to what extent, I really can't say. If you adjust toe with the toe rod, it shouldn't change camber too much. But with the rear, it's like I was saying above. If things aren't set right with the two arms making the upper control arm, then you might have more of a camber change when you try and adjust with the toe rod.

Leigh, what else do you want from me? But things are kind of complicated the way nissan designed the thing. With the virtual ball joint outboard of everything and the dual upper arm design. So if you really want to get things dialed in properly. It's going to take a little time with a bumpsteer gauge to get it as close to perfect as possible. I'm probably going to mess with this stuff a little later on this year, once things slow down here and hopefully get some better ideas on all of this.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Good Vibrations All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: