TIP Engineering Forum Index TIP Engineering
Theory In Practice

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MK3 Supra Coilovers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: MK3 Supra Coilovers Reply with quote

Well the first set is complete and has been run on the car. Road testing is not yet complete due to blowing the engine, but preliminary results are very promising.

As some of you may know, these dampers went on my brother's supra. They were valved specifically for this car, so each set built can be valved specifically for each car it will be going on. In order to determine the valving for each damper, I would only need to know the corner weights of the car, the unsprung weight, what sway bars you will be running, what tires you will be running and the intent of the vehicle. This will allow me to calculate ideal spring rates and damping values for each individual car.

I started with Bilstein Take Apart dampers due to their ease of revalving and rebuilding. I chose a digressive piston so the compression curve could be stiffer in the low speed region but still retain decent ride characterics. The rebound side is also digressive but the knee occurs outside the range most likely to be seen while racing.

Each damper was tested on the dyno and the valving was adjusted until I was happy. The valving was based on the information that I need about the car and other parameters based on the suspension design. The valving mainly depends on the desired spring rate and the weight of the vehicle at each corner. I use a very awesome excel spreadsheet to calculate the numbers and compare different shock plots and a Simulink program to test the response of the dampers based on acceleration and road inputs.

Once the valving has been finalized the shocks are ready to be mounted to the car. Because the Bilstein damper already has spherical bearings at each end custom upper mounts where designed. The mounts seen in the following picture are prototypes and the production mounts will be slightly different in design and most likely anodized to make them look pretty.

The front damper mounted on the car.

The front upper shock mount.

The lower mount shown with our Adjustable Sway Bar Endlinks (more information on them coming soon).

The springs used are Hypercoils when they have the available sizes and rates desired. If Hypercoils does not make a certain spring size or rate, custom springs by Draco Springs will be used. Helper springs and spring guides are also Hypercoils products and may not be necessary for all setups.

The rear dampers waiting to be mounted to the car.

The car with all dampers installed.

The final design for these dampers will be coming soon. There are a few things that I need to change in terms of the height adjustability of the dampers.

Dyno plots are also available for these dampers. Shock dyno plots will be provided with every damper I build to ensure that they meet your requirements. Each plot will be different because each car is different. The valving will change based on the weight of the car, the spring rates and many other variables.

A price for these dampers will be available in the near future. I am in the process of finalizing all the details and finding someone to produce the mounts and spacers for me.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to post them here or contact me directly either through PM or email, jrud@theoryinpracticeengineering.com .

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> The Practice All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: