TIP Engineering Forum Index TIP Engineering
Theory In Practice

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kevin's Supra

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Kevin's Supra Reply with quote

I just wanted to start this thread about Kevin's car. This all started summer of 2004 when Jimmy needed to get rid of his supra. Kevin picked it up even though he was only 15 at the time.

This is how it was when he bought it from Jimmy back at the end of Summer 2004.

When we got it, it had a spun bearing, was NA and was auto, but it's a hardtop so it was a good place to start. So we had to do something about the powertrain problems, so I happen to find another supra in MD, that had what we wanted. It was turbo, 5-speed and cheap which worked out perfectly for us. But it was a targa, which would be nice for summer cruising down the street, but we wanted this thing to be bad ass and not have the torsional rigidity of a wet noodle.

Here are a couple shots of the donor car. Most of these are after the engine came out and after we started stealing the better parts from it.

We pulled the turbo engine and tranny out of the black car first and then pulled in the white one so we could pull the blown engine and auto tranny and put in the turbo stuff. We didn't really have too much room to work with in our garage.

Once the engine was out, Kevin got to start cleaning up the engine bay.

Once things got cleaned up, we were able to put the engine in. We did a couple things while it was out. New exhaust mani gasket. Stainless turbo oil lines, egr blockoff, removed all of the unnecessary vacuum lines, normal engine cleanup stuff.

Here I am sitting on the windshield. That sign I'm holding was a sign that Jimmy and I took from a Friendly's way back in high school, at least 4 or 5 years before the picture was taken and we just happened to find it in the supra when we were stripping it.

Here's Jimmy messing around, riding the old 7m, that somehow lasted for over 3k miles with a spun bearing.

Here's the 2 supras and my car out in the driveway towards the end of my Christmas break. At this point, the engine is in the white car but it's not running yet. The black car is still in the process of getting stripped of all it's usable pieces. My parents wanted us to get rid of the black car before I headed back to school, but that didn't really happen and it sat around the house until the summer when we finally got rid of it.

Now onto this past summer. This was our chance to get the car running. With the help of our parents and Kevin starting to work, we had a little more money to mess around with. We decided that since we had the time and the money and the fact that it's a 7m, we should do the head gasket. We decided to just go with a stock gasket and not a metal one. We aren't going to pushing this engine too far in terms of power and we figured that a metal head gasket wasn't needed. We also got some ARP studs for the car. We messed up some of the stock rubber intercooler piping when we pulled the engine so we had to come up with some way to make all of that work. A couple pieces of aluminum tubing and some silicone couples and we got the turbo outlet fixed. Now we had to get the cold side of the intercooler piped. This took some more creativity. We ended up getting some random section of 2" piping from Napa and cut and fit it to work. It's not ideal, but it could be a lot worse. We also picked up a Megan downpipe and a test pipe, still haven't decided on the exhaust just yet.

[img]http://www.theoryinpracticeengineering.com/gallery/ma70_kjj/P1010001.JPG.html[/img]

At this point we had the engine started. But we had a lot more work to do before actually driving the car.

We moved the battery to directly behind the passenger seat.

We cut out the spare tire well and still haven't got around to patching it up. The thing was just to rusty to keep, so it was best to get rid of it.

The exterior still needs a lot of work. We have to pick a color to paint it and figure out what we're going to do. It also really needs to get lowered, a lot. And we need to get some wheels.

I don't have any pics of the badass super low rails that I made for the fake bride seat we put in it. But it's almost sitting too low right now.

There's still a couple more things to do to the interior in terms of wiring up all the little stuff and getting everything working. We picked up some Megan gauges to monitor boost and water temp. It should be enough for now, but we'll see.

Here are the last couple pics from this past Christmas break. It took us just about a year to get all this work done. But then again, I was at school for most of it and when I wasn't there, since our parents were having a lot of work done on the house, the garage space was mostly occupied by appliances and other things that just get in the way when trying to work on the car. So now we've got it running. Since it's still missing a lot we just took it for a couple spins around the block, but it's quick. A lot quicker than I would've expected, but we probably cut a couple hundred pounds out of it.

There are a couple things we need to do before we can get it out to any events this coming summer. We need to throw some exhaust on there. Then we need to get suspension for it. I've been working on designing something for it. I need to decide on spring rates and then figure out the valving. I'll probably go with someting from Bilstein or Koni or something similar to start and then revalve it to what I want for the car and keep messing with it until Kevin likes it. Hopefully that will be done soon because the stock suspension, besides making it sit like a 4x4, is blown as shit and soft right now.

So action shots shohuld be coming in the near future as soon as college is over. Right now the best I have is this short vid of Jimmy driving the car down the street. Nothing exciting for anyone else, but I'm pretty happy about it.

http://www.theoryinpracticeengineering.com/random/supra/MOV00002.MPG

It doesn't seem like much right now, but if you consider that I made Kevin do a lot of the work, partially because it's his car and another part because I want him to learn. He's 16 now and should be getting his license in the next couple weeks. I know it might not be the best idea for someone who just started driving to have this car, setup like this, but I think he'll be alright. He'll probably be getting our dad's accord in the near future for a daily and we can take the last step or two to make this a track car. And then he'll be the only 16 year old I know that has a race car and a daily.

I think I doomed him to follow me into this car life, but I'm sure he'll love it.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
anthracite93

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repost...ha

i like the added commentary....gives it a bit more personality...

jim
El Nagro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool car, hope your brother enjoys it.

I am also building a supra, I ll make a thread after this weekend when I get some more work done on it.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Nagro wrote:
Cool car, hope your brother enjoys it.

I am also building a supra, I ll make a thread after this weekend when I get some more work done on it.

Joe

I'd be interested to hear a bit more on this Supra build i.e. generation, build goals, progress etc.

Jim
crinale

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I doomed him to follow me into this car life, but I'm sure he'll love it.

what nice brother you are and an interesting story too. i never had anybody around to pull me into this stuff.. just got it on my own and learning as i go along.

good forum here. looking forward to read more articles. nice, scientifically rooted tech articles. but they're long and time time..... Embarassed
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before, I don't know if I'm ruining his life or making it better, hopefully making it better. I didn't have anyone pull me into this stuff either, but now I'm bringing down as many people as I can with me.

I'm glad you like the forum and the articles, I'm going to get some more uploaded, but they're probably going to be just as long, but if you have the time, they're worth the read.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I'm missing some middle parts to this story, but this is the stuff we've been working on for the past couple weeks. We got the dampers and springs on the car. This is the stuff that I've been working on for the past couple months. Everything is finally finished and we're getting real close to track tuning time. We haven't driven with them yet, but they should be pretty awesome. I might be putting together a kit in the near future if anyone is interested. They would be custom valved for your setup based on what type of setup your going for, the weights of your car, sway bars, tires, etc.

One of the dampers on the dyno.

Front setup on the car.

The rears all ready to go on the car.

The custom shock mounts.

Now for the exhaust, we decided that a regular exhaust is stupid. So we send our out the side of the car. And since the car is going to be low, we went with oval tubing to get the extra ground clearance we needed.

Mocking up the exhaust before the final welding.

Yeah, it's mean.

Another side view.

Some of the other stuff we've been doing has been a little more weight reduction.

We found some extra material on the hood, so we cut it off.

We're going with the four hood pin setup with no hinges or latch in the front. It's just more badass that way.

Got a new quick release and just waiting on the deep corn to show up next week. For now we'll use my personal wheel on the car.

I also made a shift knob for the car a couple months ago. We cut the top of the stock shifter off and I didn't want to go with something stupid and cheap, so I made one out of some random 2024 I had lying around.

I also made some new endlinks for the sway bars. Just simple stuff. I need to come up with a new design, single shear is stupid.

One of them installed. They need to be adjusted once we get the ride height set with the new suspension on there.

I think that's about it for now, everything should be back together in the next couple days and I'll get some on the ground shots with the suspension. it still needs wheels, badly. But the money isn't there right now. Action shots will come next week.

jrud@tipengr.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Builds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: