TIP Engineering Forum Index TIP Engineering
Theory In Practice

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken dampening adjustment: fixable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Good Vibrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMaverick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Broken dampening adjustment: fixable? Reply with quote

I was messing around when I first got my S13 and inevitable put it over a curb. Along with bending all the arms and tearing apart the lower perch (or whatever you want to call the part of the coilover that bolts to the spindle), I managed to snap off the adjustment screw for my RF strut. Unfortunately, I had all the dampeners set at full hard and now it is stuck that way. I have been driving like this for over a year cause im poor and cant afford new coilovers. Has anyone taken apart the Silkroad RM/A8 coilovers? Can I remove and replace the adjustment screw on the bottom of the cartridge without further damaging it? I will eventually have to replace/rebuild them anyway because there is play in the piston but im just weighing my options.

-Rob
AceInHole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Broken dampening adjustment: fixable? Reply with quote

MadMaverick wrote:
I was messing around when I first got my S13 and inevitable put it over a curb. Along with bending all the arms and tearing apart the lower perch (or whatever you want to call the part of the coilover that bolts to the spindle), I managed to snap off the adjustment screw for my RF strut. Unfortunately, I had all the dampeners set at full hard and now it is stuck that way. I have been driving like this for over a year cause im poor and cant afford new coilovers. Has anyone taken apart the Silkroad RM/A8 coilovers? Can I remove and replace the adjustment screw on the bottom of the cartridge without further damaging it? I will eventually have to replace/rebuild them anyway because there is play in the piston but im just weighing my options.

-Rob

There's pics of a taken apart Slkroad strut in the gallery. I'd bet if the piston has play, and the lower mount tore off, you're better off with an entirely new damper. It might be time to save up and upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Good Vibrations All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: