TIP Engineering Forum Index TIP Engineering
Theory In Practice

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corner Balance the S14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Good Vibrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean_S14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Corner Balance the S14 Reply with quote

Do you guys have the ability to corner balance at your shop? There are a few places around that do so but none that I know of that have experience with S-chassis suspension components.

My setup

Tires:
Falken Azenis 615 - 225/40/18 245/40/18

Front:
Zeal FunctionX 8kg
Stock 27mm Sway w/ ES bushings, stock crap endlinks
SPL Tension Rods
Stock LCA w/ ES bushings
Kazama tie rod ends
Stock inner tie rods
Nismo power brace

Rear:
Zeal FunctionX 6kg
Stock Sway (for now)
SPL RUCA w/ ES bushing to hub*
SPL toe rod w/ ES bushing to hub*
Stock traction rod w/ ES bushings*
SPL alum diff bushings*
SPL alum subframe bushings*

* - to be installed in the next couple of months in my cold garage Smile

I Auto-X with Philly SCCA and would love to do some hillclimbs but lacking a cage, maybe the 08 season. At any rate, I need the S14 corner balanced and dialed in after all my rear suspension components are installed. Can you guys do it up?
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we can corner balance your car. The shop I'm working at is R/T Tuning in Lansdale, PA. We can take care of it all. When are you thinking of having this stuff done?

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
sean_S14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say feburary/march sometime...got to get everything installed in the rear, redo my brake setup (got front evo brembos, looking for a rear setup while keeping stock ebrake but something to match bias as close as i can, z32 17/16), wait for the roads to clear, but it needs to be done before the end of march when the season starts.
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Just give us a call when you're getting closer to needing this done and we'll set something up.

Shop phone: 215-855-5565

Did you ever find something to use for the rear brakes?

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
S14Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm cornerweighting my S14 and I was wondering if either of you had experience with them. This was a first attempt at corner weighting my S14 so I had no idea what it would look like on the scales. Coilovers are Tein Flex's.

These are the corner weights with my big 295lb ass in it.

LF 744 RF 896
LR 856 RR 620

Has anyone experienced a weight diagonal like that before? I can't seem to dial it out and was lookin for a point in the right direction. I played with it for about an hour but couldn't dial that out without looking to move weight around inside the car. I'm sure I can even out the side to side and work front to back a little closer but I just thought that was alot in the diagonal. Any Help would be apreciated.
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that kind of weight split, you might have to move weight around to get the car balanced. You should help it out a little by raising either the LF or RR corner. That should put weight on that corner and the diagonal and take it away from the two adjacent corners. But depending on how far you would have to go, your ride heights might get screwed up and then you will be running into even more problems.

If I were you, I would try and get it as close as possible the way it sits. Keep in mind that you don't want your ride heights drastically different because of the way it will bias the suspension geometry. So if that's the best you can get, then focus on moving weight around in the car. If you still have a battery in the front in the stock location, then move it to the right rear and it should help out a little. And look at other possible things that you can relocate to help achieve a better weight balance.

Is this a street car or a track car or a little of both. If it's a track car, then do as much as you possibly can to get the weights to come out right. If it's a street car, the you really don't have to go as far with it.

Also, I don't know if you did or not, but double check tire pressures, make sure they're even or at whatever pressure you want them to be hot. If one pressure is lower than another it will affect the way the weight is distributed. Another thing that should be done is to reset preload on the spring. I don't like to run preload unless necessary, I still haven't been able to find any valid reason to preload the springs on these cars. So I would check to make sure that they're all equal because this will affect ride height and weight balance.

If you do all of those things and still can't get it to balance right, you need to look more into moving weight around. Let me know how it goes.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
RbbugBiTme

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so happy that you said exactly what I would have said.... but I'm not confident/experienced enough so I kept my mouth shut.
S14Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the issue out this weekend when I got another S14 on the platform and it had an even worse weight issue than mine. Like the front was coming in at 585 and 870

Broken Scale Embarassed

Moved the left front scale to the left rear and vice versa. The weight issue moved with it. So picked up another scale and it instantly fixed the problem. Now I just have to undo about 10 adjustments I made to my car trying to fix the problem. We got my friends down to about 1480 front and 1380 rear and the same side to side with 200lb driver. Whew. So the S14 isn't a screwball chassis. About a 1/4" of adjustment of front ride height moved about 60lbs to the back. He didn't want to go any more because of cosmetic issues. With the new scale it didn't take us about 20-30 mins to do his whole car from a guesstimated initial setup on his silk roads. I'm surprised more people don't do this when they install coilovers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Good Vibrations All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: