TIP Engineering Forum Index TIP Engineering
Theory In Practice

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joe's Supra build ***UPDATE 04/08/06***

View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Nagro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Joe's Supra build ***UPDATE 04/08/06*** Reply with quote

G'Day fella's,

Well this started out as a fall/winter project, that turned into a winter project, which has now turned into a spring project. I am finishing up schooling right now to be a 2nd year automotive technician so for the last while I've been talking about/working on cars for 8hrs+ a day not to mention when I come home I talk about cars with all my friends which has burned me out some and made me not want to work on this project. The weather is nice now and I've finaly got some motivation in me to get this thing done.

The plan:

***** PRESENT MODS *****

Powertrain:
- 1JZ swap
- Fab'd "El Nagro" motor mounts for zenki chassis
- 5spd r154 tranny
- OS giken twin plate clutch
- TD07 single turbo
- Trust single turbo manifold
- Trust wastegate

Fuel system:
- MK4 550cc injectors
- MK4 255lph fuel pump
- Aeromotive FPR

Engine managment:
- Megasquirt stand alone, running stock ignition and sensors (should be the first one done on a 1jz)
- PLX m300 wideband 02

Footwork:
- Tien HA coilovers (had JICs but traded)
- Enkie 7 spoke rims 17x8 & 17x9 stagered
- Strut tower braces

***** WISHLIST *****

Powertrain:
- Adjustable cam gears
- HKS cams
- 1.5jz with build bottom end

Footwork:
- ST swaybars and links
- Hawk Pads
- Brembo Rotors
- Brake mastercylinder brace

*********Current State *********

I've got the old 7mgte out now, Today I just finished cleaning up the engine bay abit and getting things ready for the 1jz. I am planning on having the motor in this weekend so that I can start on wiring.

Picture Time:

Wheels

Right side mount

Left side mount

Old coilovers

TD07 turbo

The supra

Funny picture my mom took of me working on it

Fanzy 1JZ pic

1JZ ready to go in

****04/08/06****
The 1jz was put in tonight. Dont ask me how the heck I did this all by myself lol.

Thats all for now, thanks for looking and I'll try to keep this up to date.

Joe

Last edited by El Nagro on Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

Do you have the Megasquirt running yet? I was thinking about looking more into it for my brother's supra with the 7m, but wasn't too sure about it. And I'm not as good with electrical stuff as I am with suspension.

It's nice to see another guy with an MK3. Once the summer starts, I should be able to start developing some more suspension bits for it.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
anthracite93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any fuel mods? Where do you see the project heading as far as peak whp?

I'm also interested in seeing the megasquirt set-up running all of the stock sensors and ignitor. Good luck keep us updated

Jim
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthracite93 wrote:
Any fuel mods? Where do you see the project heading as far as peak whp?

Jim

You supra guys just can't talk about a car without asking about peak power can you. It reminds me of that old SNL skit with the weightlifters on steroids. If it were supra guys, they would be calling in asking "How much power you putting down?" instead of "how much do you bench?"

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
El Nagro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I totaly agree, I want one of those "Supra's wanna race from a roll" shirts with the dyno graph on the back that goes to like 1200hp.

As for fuel mods I kinda forgot to put those in lol woops, I am going to be running mk4 550's, mk4 255lph pump and a aeromotive FPR.

I am hoping to achive between 400 and 550whp outta this setup, just depends on the boost level I feel is nessecary after I get her goin.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why can't you s13 guys just realize that horsepower, although commonly lamented as the bane of your existence on a stock KA, is an important factor in choosing appropriate hardware for a build...lol...

and the reference to the SNL kit was amusing, though I wouldn't compare myself to any of those Supra owners since I am distinguished from the masses by my ~190 whp MKIV hah

Jim
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah, I know I need to make some more power. That's not the point here, we're making fun of the typical supra guy.

Joe, so what's the deal with the megasquirt? Did you put it together yourself? How are you doing the tuning? Stuff like that, I'm real curious.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
El Nagro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did build the MS board myself, I've never done any circuit board building before and was alittle scared at first but seriosly its noooo big deal at all.

I have not built the wiring harness yet... maybe this weekend if I can get some ambition Smile It probibly wont be running for a couple of weeks to a month still as I have to build an extra VR conditioning circuit and another circuit so that I can now run sequencial ignition (was planning to run waste spark before).

The tuning is all goin to be done by myself, well most of it and I ll see how well I can get it running, If i get in to far over my head I ll take it to a shop and have them dyno it and do the rest. I am simply goin to be using a laptop with the MS software on it and I also have a PLX wideband O2 sensor.

Thats about the jist of it, basicly I just need to get some more work done Smile

Joe
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that you had updated the first post. So you put the 1jz in on your own. That must have been a pain in the ass. It was hard enough putting the 7m back into my brother's car with help.

Keep me updated on the MS stuff. I'm really interested in that, I just don't have the time or patience to do it myself. Maybe someday I'll take the time and give it a shot, but right now I'll be content with reading about other people's successes with it.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
bettonracing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Over 6 months later...]

What's the story on the megasquirt? I'm in the planning stages of MSII V3.0 to run on a VQ35tt (with VTC).

Some points to consider:
Unburnt gases in comb chamber. Exhaust valve open. Turbo gradually getting up to speed with current exh flow & thermal expansion. Wasted spark fires...
[Repeat every 120deg of crank rotation]

I'm investigating some options to use COP in wasted spark while trying to reduce the trigger voltage on the "wasted" [exhaust] spark as rpms increase. The intent is to allow adequate recovery of the coil at the 7krpm redline. Of course, my car is being built for track only and the idea having my car look like a rat-with-a-lit-firecracker-on-its-tail is intriguing to me Very Happy [both from the accel and the popping and banging!]

Maybe we should start a MSquirt thread in the "noisemakers" forum?...

Regards,
H. Kurt Betton
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to start a megasquirt thread in the noisemakers forum. It's the only one without any posts so far. I'm really interested in this stuff, but it's also something I would rather just have someone else do for me. But I would love to hear more about it.

Tim

jrud@tipengr.com
El Nagro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap i totaly forgot about this forum! Embarassed

Well its like what a year later?? LOL lots of bad stuff has happened and it seams i just cant win with this silly car...

So i decided about mid summer after pissing with the megasquirt abit and not being able to get it running that instead of spending $1200 on a decent hand-held oscilloscope i'd spend the money on a second 1jz this time 100% stock and seeing as i was broke from not having a job that I'd sell the turbo kit to fund buying this new motor set.

Get the new 1j in and get it running after a couple hours of pissing around with wiring all in all very simple and easy to follow instructions even though they wernt the right diagrams for my car i managed to fio and started only to hear what I thought was the worlds biggest exhaust leak (that was no exhaust leak that was a missing spark plug, dont fucking ask!). Then after about a day of trying to sort out all the little leaks it was time to make some ghetto IC pipes and see what this thing can do!

Hurray its fast with no air filter and open y pipe clutch holds till 4th gear then starts to slip like crazy (i knew it wasnt in good shape when i swapped it over from the old motor, it came with the last motor set and i never checked it out before as it was already all installed so why bother, i was told it was in good shape Rolling Eyes )... leave it parked outside the shop for about 15mins or so, go to take it for another rip and as i pull away i get engualfed in oily smoke Rolling Eyes fuck yea blown turbo's after not even 50km's of driving!

So now its been sitting in storage all winter and i've rly had no intention to touch it cuz it doesnt like me i guess. I have a good job now again though but i dont know it its worth it for me to spend abunch of my hard earned money on it again just to have it break more stuff. Keep posted if it doesnt sell (it wont) i am probibly going to single it again for as cheap as posible without being too ghetto and see where that gets me.

PS. I havnt given up on megasquirt i am in the process right now of going MS'edis on my 75 280z, wish me luck although i dont think its quite as cursed as the supra!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Builds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: