TIP Engineering Forum Index TIP Engineering
Theory In Practice

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hydro E-Brake Ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZoltecRules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Hydro E-Brake Ideas Reply with quote

Since I have some free time now with the Midwest Off-season coming up thought I try a new idea:

Me and Wisass discussed this briefly, but after observing some drivers cars and seeing what people were doing to install a Hydraulic E-Brake, I saw some things I liked (making a custom spindle) and didn't like (teeing the e-brake between the rear and front, I can't even confirm if this is workable). The idea I liked the most though had to be the idea of bolting a custom plate between the spindle and bearing which seems much more simpler:

Idea came from Arizonazcar.com

Seems easy to fab up. It will space the wheel out a little farther depending on how thick the plate is between the bearing and spindle (that section milled out in the milled). Also I'm just trying to figure out what possible interferences I'm going to have, what size caliper I should combine with it, and the components I'm going to need since I don't want to run this with the current braking system.

So what do you guys think so far?
Wiisass
Head suspension nerd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the way AZ Z-car did it. I think we actually talked about that before I knew that they made something like that. But if I remember the thread on ziptied, I think George (sil8ty) put up the pictures and said that they had to cut off the normal brake mounts on the upright. So with something like that you would still only have one brake caliper. But you could always add another set of mounting points on the opposite side and run two.

Who did the custom upright? Was that just Rhys' car?

The hydraulic e-brake that you install in line seems like the easiest way to get something decent to work back there without spending too much money. I know a lot of people use the CNC Brakes setup, but Sean (Freethinker) used CompBrake or something in his E36 which I think looks a little nicer than the CNC brake stuff. This is purely aesthetic. Then of course there's also the K-sport/D2 e-brake. Which might not be a bad option.

I don't think you can just tee into the line. The pressure wouldn't know which way to go. You'd have to run those cylinders in line with the rear brake line.

But I like the plate between the spindle idea a lot, as long as everything will fit. That way you could set up a whole seperate circuit for the e-brake. The plate would just have to be designed to take the loads and as long as it didn't space anything out too far it would be pretty nice. You also would have to decide on your main real caliper and then pick one for the e-brake. You could probably do two of the same caliper. Or you could try and find a slightly smaller one for the e-brake that can still accept the same rotor thickness.

http://www.ziptied.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8687&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&

That's the thread with the pics of the AZ Z setup. Depending on how far that toe arm sticks out, you could probably put another caliper on the other side. I mean with something like this you would have complete freedom on how the packaging worked out. I think it would be nice if you could put a nice 4-piston caliper on one side for the main rear brake and then a smaller 2-piston on the other side just for the e-brake.

I really need to get all the spare rear suspension stuff hear so I could take a better look at it and have a better idea of how it would work out.

Also, I think if you're going to do something like this for the rear. Now would also be the time to consider a different caliper for the front, so you could get a decent brake balance front to rear. But if not, you could just work off of whatever you have in the front.

jrud@tipengr.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TIP Engineering Forum Index -> Muffs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: